Wednesday, June 6, 2012

No Carb Pizza Crust

It's summer so naturally, I'm trying my best to watch what I eat. Thanks to pinterest I have been able to try out an assorted amount of new recipes, most which are "healthy". I was super excited when I stumbled across Lauren Conrad's blog, and found this doughless pizza recipe. She explanes in her post about the calorie differences between normal pizza and this one with a crust made out of a cauliflower, egg, cheese and spices mixture. I just had to try this, pizza is one of my favorite foods and being able to eat it without the crazy calories? Yes please! Here is how mine turned out: 



Ok ok, I know I kind ruined the "healthy-ness" of it by adding loads of cheese and pepperoni, but oh well! It was actually really good and I could hardly tell the difference between a normal crust pizza. Although I would suggest actually using a blender when chopping up the cauliflower, I currently don't own one (and my roommates hardly works) so I just chopped mine up by hand so my crust was a little chunky. I'll mention any other suggestions/changes below :)

No Carb Pizza Crust

Ingredients
  • 1 cup of cooked cauliflower
  • 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
  • olive oil
  • pizza sauce, cheese, and whatever toppings you want!
Instructions

To "rice" the Cauliflower: Take 1 large head of fresh cauliflower, remove stems and leaves, and chop the florets into chunks. Add to food processor and pulse until it looks like grain. Do not over-do pulse or you will puree it. (If you don't have a food processor, you can grate the whole head with a cheese grater). (I chopped it up by hand, and I definitely recommend using a food processor if possible. If not, being sure to chop the chunks as small as possible!)  Place the riced cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 8 minutes. There is no need to add water, as the natural moisture in the cauliflower is enough to cook itself. (I be to differ, I didn't add water and mine were slightly burnt? It was strange. Maybe try adding a tablespoon of water and just draining if out afterwards if necessary.) One large head should produce approximately 3 cups of riced cauliflower. The remainder can be used to make additional pizza crusts immediately, or can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week. Preheat over to 450 degrees, spray cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup of cauliflower, egg and mozzarella. Add oregano, garlic salt, and crushed garlic, stir. Transfer to cookie sheet and pat out with your hands to be around 6" round. Brush with olive oil to help brown. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and add pizza sauce, cheese, and whichever toppings you want. Place back in oven but this time use the broiler option for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Mine only made 1 small personal pizza, but one head of cauliflower can make multiple pizzas!

What's your favorite "healthy" recipe?

Until next time! Stay sweet & sassy! xx
 

2 comments:

  1. Yum, I love pizza!

    P.S. Thanks so much for the follow! Have a fabulous day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gf and just found out that I'm reacting to tapioca flour. I have been looking for something to make a good pizza crust with. I'll have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete